The Ultimate GDPR helps you to regulate collecting, store, process, and transfer personal data. This advanced and smart solution has six steps and provides a holistic approach to help you on your journey towards GDPR compliance.
The first step towards GDPR compliance is identifying where personal data resides. An inventory of your organization’s personal data is a prerequisite for GDPR compliance. During the data discovery phase, you need to know:
- Where and in what form personal data is stored.
- What types of personal data are stored.
- Who has access to personal data, including when, where, and how personal data is used.
After data discovery, the next step is to establish accountability in the flow of personal data within your organization. Enforce policies, rules, and regulations to ensure data handling, sharing, and storage techniques are in compliance with the GDPR. Some important questions organizations should answer during this phase include:
- What’s the lawful basis for holding this personal data?
- Is any personal data shared with third parties? If so, why?
- How is personal data processed?
- How long can personal data be stored?
- How do we track a data subject’s personal data?
The GDPR mandates that data be stored, processed, and shared in a manner that ensures its security. Depending on the type, context, location, and volume of personal data that your organization stores, you may need to implement measures such as encryption, pseudonymization, and anonymization to reduce the risk of data exposure. During the securing phase, you need to ask yourself:
- What technical and organizational measures are in place to safeguard personal data?
- Can you detect and respond to system infiltrations or data breaches in real time?
- Are regular data protection impact assessments being carried out?
- What are your organization’s provisions for handling the data breach notification process?
- Is there a data security incidence response plan in place?
The goal of this phase is to implement the solutions. In this phase, the implementation of the solutions presented in the previous phase will be considered. Risk treatment solutions are divided into two main technical and system parts, each with the following components:
- Technical solutions which are Configuration modification, Providing new hardware and/or software
- System solutions which are Implementation of training and awareness courses, Implementation of policies and procedures
In this phase, the effectiveness of the implemented solutions is measured. In fact, by assessing the organization’s information security status before and after the implementation phase, the effectiveness of the implementation of the solutions is measured.
GDPR compliance isn’t a one-shot exercise; it’s a continuous process of keeping up with a consistently evolving compliance environment, changing technologies, and data privacy requirements to demonstrate compliance at any point in time. In the last phase, all remaining issues observed in the Audit phase are removed and the final corrections in the system are considered.